Grain can be straight, wavy, or irregular and interlocked. Texture is fine, with a high natural luster, and small to medium-sized open pores.
Pale yellow or cream, darkening with age to a golden yellow. Heartwood and sapwood usually look the same.
- Distribution:Western and central regions of Africa, near lakes and streams
- Tree Size:80-115 ft (25-35 m) tall, 2-3 ft (.6-1.0 m) trunk diameter
- Average Dried Weight:38 lbs/ft3 (610 kg/m3)
- Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC):.48, .61
- Janka Hardness:1,080 lbf (4,800 N)
- Modulus of Rupture:15,670 lbf/in2 (108.1 MPa)
- Elastic Modulus:1,570,000 lbf/in2 (10.83 GPa)
- Crushing Strength:7,770 lbf/in2 (53.6 MPa)
- Shrinkage:Radial: 4.6%, Tangential: 6.7%, Volumetric: 12.0%, T/R Ratio: 1.5